Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Garter Stitch Blankets

This is probably the easiest blanket to make EVER!  All you do is garter stitch the whole way around, changing colors when you want or not.  I've made two blankets this way.  One is for me and the other for the baby.
The purple and green blanket is mine and the black and white blanket is for baby.

 On my blanket, the "purple" is an eggplant purple and the "green" is a slightly dark olive green.  My blanket is big enough to cover most of my body.  The baby's blanket is about half that size.  So needles to say, my blanket took a lot longer to make.

Left:  P&g blanket showing no right/wrong side with funky color row
Right: B&w blanket showing right side with NO funky color row.

Also, something different I did between the two.  Is on the purple and green blanket there was no right/wrong side like there is with most color-change garter stitching.  As, seen in the picture above there is an odd number of rows in the p&g blanket and an even amount in the b&w.   I did this, because there is always a row of stitching in the row that the yarn colors are changed that looks a bit funky.  So on the p&g blanket that funky row is on both sides.  You can't even tell, because the width of the color bands are large and the color contrast isn't that great.  But on the b&w blanket the colors had such a strong contrast and the color bands were so small, that I felt there needed to be a wrong side to where all the funky color rows would be (see picture below).  Leaving the right side with no funky color bands (see picture above).

Wrong side of b&w blanket.

So, you really just need to think about what you want on your blanket, keeping in mind color band width and color contrast.  I really like the cool colors on my blanket.  They make me happy!  But I'm glad I made the baby's blanket such a strong color contrast of b&w, because I learned that babies basically see in strong contrasts only when they are newborn.  The yarn is super soft as well, so hopefully the baby will love this blanket!

1 comment:

  1. All of that sounds way to complicated....your baby will surely stay warm!

    ReplyDelete