Tuesday, April 26, 2011

A Big God

Here is another great exert from the book I'm reading.

In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day: How to Survive and Thrive When Opportunity Roars

"Astronomers have spied on galaxies 12.3 billion light-years from earth.  To put that distance into perspective, consider the fact that light traveling 186,000 miles per second only takes eight minutes to travel the 93 million miles between the sun and planet earth.  Sunlight is only eight minutes old.  But light from the furthest galaxy takes 12.3 billion years to get here.  That distance is virtually incomprehensible!  And God says that is about the distance between His thoughts and our thoughts.......

'My thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are my ways your ways,' declares the Lord.  'As the heavens are higher than the earth so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.' - Isaiah 55:8-9

.....Your best thought about God on your best day falls 12.3 billion light years short of how great and how good God really is.  We underestimate God's goodness by at least 12.3 billion light-years.

You know what the greatest tragedy in life is?  It is someone whose god gets smaller and smaller with each passing day.

Maybe it's time to stop placing four-dimensional limits on God.  Maybe it's time to stop putting God in a box the size of your cerebral cortex.  Maybe it's time to stop creating God in your image and let Him create you in His. 

The more we grow the bigger God should get.  And the bigger God gets, the smaller our lions will become."

I know it's so easy for me to put God in a box and try to make Him what I want Him to be.  But when we do that we are limiting what He can do in our lives.  I know when I surrender completely to His will for me that only then do I experience True freedom in my life and my walk.

And I love what Mark said about trying to create God in our image.  Because isn't that what we all do.  We think of an old man (usually white) with a beard looking down on us from the clouds.  When God is so much more than that or that we could ever imagine.  I try my best to not think of an image when I think of God.  But think of love and peace and strength and qualities that He is.  The qualities that I want. 

And I know that God is pretty wonderful, but isn't it great to know that He is greater than we could ever imagine.  I mean sit and think for a second on how wonderful you think God is....take a few minutes.  And with all the brain power you have to think of His goodness, we still have a fracture of a clue of how great He is.  I tell you what, I am not going to miss Heaven.  Because if God is as great as all this, I've got to meet this person in all His glory.  That is definitely an eternity I want!!

No comments:

Post a Comment